Monday, November 29, 2010

Baha'i activities (part I): a reflection gathering

Although I'm having a great time in Hungary, it's about time that I share some photos and thoughts about the true reason that I'm here: to assist the Baha'i community in Debrecen.  What is the Baha'i community of Debrecen trying to do, such that it needs assistance, you may ask?  All over the world, Baha'is are involved in "a process that seeks to raise capacity withing a population to take charge of its own spiritual, social and intellectual development."  If you haven't seen it already, it may be worth going back to a post called "community building" which gives a bit of background on the types of activities Baha'is try to help initiate towards these lofty goals.

Unfortunately, I often forget to take photographs when I'm at Baha'i events.  But I do have a few.  Let's start with a reflection gathering that happened a couple weeks ago here in the Debrecen Baha'i Centre where I'm staying.  This type of meeting happens usually every three months.  As the name implies, we gather together and reflect on the activities in the area and try to determine our immediate steps forward.

me and some of my Baha'i friends at our reflection meeting
At this type of meeting we usually share stories, reflect on experiences, and consult about future activities.  This time, we also studied some guidance from the Universal House of Justice, which is the supreme Institution for the Baha'is.   (Click here for more info about the Universal House of Justice.)
It was exciting for us to have Baha'is visiting from another part of the country, to help us with our study and to help put things into perspective in the whole country.  Most of the meeting was bilingual for the visitors like me.
more friends at the same meeting
We heard an exciting announcement at this meeting: Dan and Jeane, two pioneers from the States, held up their passports and displayed their new three year visas!  I'm only staying for three months, but these two are here for the long haul!

an exciting announcement
Congratulations Dan and Jeane!



No comments:

Post a Comment