Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Day of the Dead (part II): a Budapest cemetery

Here are a few photographs from a big graveyard in Budapest.  In case you know Budapest at all, this one is near the Keleti train station.
statues on top of the Keleti train station

I was still in a soul-searching mood since the candle-lit eve of day of the dead, the night before, and this is probably reflected in the photographs.  Again I pondered the concept of mourning versus expressing joy that souls have advanced toward their Creator. Many of these grave stones and statues seem to do their best at conveying eternal sadness and mourning.  I'm sure the families are sad about losing contact with those who passed, but a thought crept into my mind that I felt a bit guilty about thinking: whoever chose some of these grave stones and statues had the feeling that this soul was going to a bad place! God forbid that anyone judged their lives and thought we better put up a statue to convey how bitterly depressed we are that this soul is headed for torment!

Some of the statues are gothic and somewhat creepy. They were some of my favourites:


I don't approve of depictions of Christ, but this one drew my attention

what message is this statue trying to convey?
Here are some other statues and grave stones which caught my attention:
she looks upset about the imax cinema in the background!


this is one of my favourites, pensive but hopeful




I like the contemplative mood of this one


rarr

translation: our dear Susan, 16 years old

an architect


Here are some random scenic views around the cemetery:


I didn't make this; would've looked great at night!



had to try to get myself in there somewhere...



1 comment:

  1. That was very interesting and scary at the same time. I hope you had a great time there.

    -Gelayel, Sasan, Fouruz, & Ryan Samii

    ReplyDelete